Are you ready for home design trends for 2019? Read on . . .
1. Bold wallpaper has been working its way back for a while now. Definitely bold – no washed-out flower patterns. Birds, flowers, clouds and geographical designs are all very in, but make sure they are bold. And of course, you don't have to do every wall. And if your walls are uneven, wallpaper hides a multitude of sins.
2. Anything organic resonates well these days. Birch branches in a standing vase, interesting stones in a display, a bowl of pinecones, sea glass or shells. Take a stroll on the beach or in the local mountains and see what you find.
3. Matte black is also very in. I don't know about this one. It reminds me of the clubs on the Sunset Strip back in the day, but IKEA is showing a lot of it. Even if you aren't an IKEA shopper, their designs are usually on-trend. Hint: keep touch-up paint handy. Nothing worse than chipped black paint.
4. Statement ceilings – ceilings are the new fifth wall. Take a look at these. But take it from me. Don't do it yourself. I tried once, very pregnant, standing on a ladder and dripping wallpaper paste everywhere. Just don't!
6. Personalized – Great if you can spring for a decorator, but be sure the room reflects you, not them. Home design trends are all about you. If you have a hobby you love, make that prominent. Make a photo gallery of your travels, show off your favorite books. You get the idea.
Whatever you do, have fun with it. As Marie Kondo says, be sure everything sparks joy!